Friday, February 17, 2017 at 11:06 am

Malfunctioning furnace cause of Covington Street fire in Perry

fire_in_perry_on_page_circle_2_12.jpg

File photo.

Around 3 o’clock this morning a fire broke out at 71 Covington St. in the Village of Perry. 

Crews from Perry, Perry Center, Silver Springs, Castile, Warsaw, and Mount Morris fire departments responded to the scene with Fire Chief in Charge Perry Fire Chief Steve Laraby. 

Assisting at the scene included Wyoming County Emergency Services, the Sheriff’s Department, Perry Police Department, Perry Department of Public Works, NYSEG, and the Red Cross. Standing by at empty fire stations included Wyoming and Leicester fire departments.

The fire was said to have started due to a malfunctioning hot air furnace, causing $60,000 in damages to the home.

Firefighters were at the scene for four hours putting out the blaze with no injuries reported.

The Covington home housed two apartments, which resulted in two families being displaced and in need of assistance by the Red Cross. A total of six people were affected by the fire.

Comments

Calendar

S M T W T F S
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 
 
 

Copyright © 2008-2016 The Batavian. Some Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
Original content available for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons license.
Contact: Howard Owens, publisher (howard (at) the batavian dot com); (585) 250-4118

blue button