Sleeping couple in Perry alerted to fire by smoke detectors
Smoke detectors woke a sleeping couple around 11 p.m. Sept. 6, alerting them to a fire and giving them time to escape the blaze.
The fire began in the garage of 6186 Burke Hill Road, Perry. According to fire officials, a car inside an attached garage had caught fire, which spread into the home.
Crews from Perry, Perry Center, Castile, Warsaw, Wyoming and Pavilion fire departments, and Mount Morris Emergency Medical Services responded to the late night fire.
Assisting Fire Chief in Charge Perry Center Chief Harold Wright were Wyoming County Emergency Services, the Sheriff’s Office and NYSEG.
Standing by at empty fire stations included Silver Springs, Cuylerville and York fire departments.
Firefighters were on the scene for four-and-one-half hours with no injuries reported.
The estimated cost of damages is $100,000.