Warsaw Fire Department holds drawing contest for kids as part of recruitment efforts
Warsaw Central School District students can show off their artistic talent and vie for a chance for their artwork to be included in the Warsaw Fire Department’s 2018 calendar.
The fire department is hosting a drawing contest for students in kindergarten through 12th grade as part of its seventh annual Recruitment and Safety Expo from noon to 5 p.m. April 29.
The drawing contest is open to all students with entries submitted to the student’s art teacher by April 21 and will be on display April 29 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Warsaw fire hall, 40 E. Buffalo St. (Route 20A).
A winner will be selected from each grade level by community participation at the Recruitment and Safety Expo event. All winners selected will also be included in the 2018 Fire Safety Calendar. Proceeds from the sale of the calendars support the fire department. Additionally, winners will win a ride to school in a fire truck.
Drawing topics may include, but are not limited to:
• Electrical Safety
• Fireworks Safety
• Gasoline Safety
• Smoke Alarms
• Grilling Safety
• Halloween Safety
• Carbon Monoxide Safety
• Stop, Drop, and Roll
• Home Escape Plans
• Burn Awareness
• Matches and Lighters
• Summer Safety
• Winter Holiday Safety
• Candle Fire Safety
• Fireplace Safety
• Cooking Fire Safety
And the rules are?
• All entries must be made and submitted in landscape format for judging;
• All submissions are to include an entry form taped to the back of the drawing which includes the student's name, grade, and contact information (entry forms can be found at the school);
• No names are to be included on the front of any drawings; and
• All drawings must be made on 8.5- by 11-inch paper.
The Saturday afternoon Expo features hot dogs and refreshments, the NYS Safe ID Program for all ages, fire truck and aerial ladder truck rides, equipment demonstrations, and more. Patrons will not only meet local firefighters, but also Smokey the Bear from 1 to 3 p.m..
The schedule of events includes:
• All-event-long -- Blood Pressure and Glucose Readings
• 1 to 3:30 p.m. -- Jaws of Life Extrication Demonstration
• 12:30 and 4:15 p.m. -- Grease Fire Prevention Demonstration
• 2:45 p.m. -- State Police K-9 Unit Demonstration
• 12:45 and 3:15 p.m. -- State Police Rollover Car Simulator
• 1:45 p.m. -- Firefighter Competition Drills
• 12:15 and 4 p.m. -- Fire Extinguisher Demonstration
• 2:15 p.m. -- History of your local Fire Department
In addition to the April 29 event, the fire department is also holding two open recruitment nights – from 7 to 9 tonight, and from 5 to 7 p.m. April 18.
For more information about the Recruitment and Safety Expo, call the Warsaw Fire Department at (585) 786-2468.